Translate It

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Volcanoes OH MY!


I grew up in Kansas so tornadoes aren't terrifying to me at all! I actually get really excited when the sky turns orange, green, blue, red, and purple and a HUGE wall cloud comes right up to your front door :) Yes, tornadoes end with horrible results, but not always. They can be quite beautiful!

BUT Earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, and tsunamis scare the caca out of me!!

After hearing about a recent earthquake that just hit Chile it made me think of 'what if.' What if that happened in Washington? What if Mt. Rainier blew? I would lose everything. I would lose all of my pictures, my job, my shelter, and sadly people I've had the chance to get to know over the past year and a half. It is the most horrible thing to consider. I then quickly googled Western Washington Volcanoes. I always knew I was surrounded by active volcanoes, but didn't realize that there are FIVE OF THEM! Mt. Rainier which is the highest and I believe the closest to me. There is also Mount Adams, Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, and Mount St. Helens.
Mount Rainier has been named the most dangerous volcano in the United States. The last time it exploded was 1,500 years ago! Volcanoes do give some warning before they erupt. Even up to months ahead of time to allow people to evacuate. Scientists believe that if an earthquake triggers Mt. Rainier it will be far more lethal than if it just blows. Just like we practiced tornado drills students here practice volcano and earthquake evacuations. Can they do that for adults too please???? I think I need to know these things!

No comments: