I had my enrolment/induction yesterday and today we met with all of the professors and staff members. I think there are about 30 of us in the program and only 3 boys :). I feel a bit overwhelmed with all of the information they are giving us, but I am getting excited about my future project. We are pretty much expected to perform a field study. We don't have to, but they encourage us to. First I need to narrow down my species/project and then probably the country. I think Costa Rica or Madagascar would be ideal for now. Of course I said I would LOVE to go to Africa, but most of those field sites are very remote. If I can find one that isn't as remote I will gladly go there. For now, I would like to work with lemurs and figuring out ways to help them in captivity. This may mean that I'll need to do my project in a zoo, but if I can go abroad (with a grant) then I would rather do that). We have to decide no later than November. I have the option of going during our Christmas break or going between April - August. I will still need to come back to Oxford to present it. Are you freaking out? I am. Think of all of the logistics that still need to be covered. 1. How do I get enough money to do this? 2. I have 2 huge suitcases. I can't take these with me while hiking in a rain forest or riding a mule to the top of a mountain. 3. If I go to Africa what shots do I need? Where do I get these? How much is this? 4. What if the time change is completely different? (At least I'll be an expert at that now). I know, I know, I shouldn't worry about these things and I already talked to the director and she said that's why the staff members are there, to help us with all of that. So for now I'll worry about how to find cheap/free textbooks for my modules.
Things I've learned so far:
- Look both ways when crossing the street because cars are coming at you from the opposite way than you're used to.
- Bollocks means testicles, but is used in a sentence the same way we use the words bull s**t. EX> That's bollocks!
-The traffic lights turn green, yellow, red, and then yellow before green again.
- Argos is a store that you walk in, look through a catalog, write the number down of the item that you want to purchase, buy the item, wait for your number to be called, and then you are given the product. It was very strange doing this, but that's how I got my 4 GBD hair dryer and 8 GBD hair straightener. Here's the website: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Home.htm?sRefURL=http%3A//www.google.co.uk/url%3Fsa%3Dt%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CHEQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.argos.co.uk%252F%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dcateglog%2520shopping%2520in%2520uk%26ei%3D4cd4TofwI8-18QP5qO2CDQ%26usg%3DAFQjCNHwZPK390oBnNdjYbKxvRT_3WTi1g
- Also the food sucks here. I've probably lost 5 lbs. already. I did however eat at Pizza Hut. They use whole black olives instead of sliced and nobody eats sausage here. They suggested pepperoni. GROSS!
Sorry this is so long today!! I have so much to say.
Thursday we are going to the Bodelian Library. ( http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/bodley ) This is a very famous library, Harry Potter was filmed there, but it is also very old and is used by Oxford University. Our director is really good friends with the lady in charge so we get free admission to this amazing library! It usually costs something ridiculous like 1000 GBD per year or something and we get to use it for free. I guess when we go on Thursday it is very ceremonial and we have to say an oath and something else in our native tongue. I'll take a TON of pictures :) Then on Friday we are going punting and having a picnic/pub event. (http://www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk/index.php?page=punting ) Punting was described to me as sort of like paddle boarding except it is in a boat. Also, like a gondola but not really. I'll take pictures :)
| This one is for Ashley because she loves "Kansas Fried Chicken." |
| This is my new friend Daria from Italy. |
| I had dinner here :) They use WHOLE black olives. |
| One of the castles I'm going to visit this weekend. CHEERS! |
4 comments:
omg take so many pictures of that library for me!!!! i can't wait to come visit... i'm gonna practice saying bollocks the right way before i come..... and take pictures of punting too... we never went paddle boarding!!!!
Only 3 boys in your program and you typed a smiley?
Elyse- I know! I wish we could have gone paddle boarding. We can go when you move to Hawaii :)
Bailey - I think I should have typed 'lol' instead of a smiley face. It sucks that there aren't boys in my program, but I'm meeting the ones in other programs :) - was that smiley face better?!!!!
I just typed a really long and witty comment and it is asking me to type it again! Screw you wordpress
Post a Comment