Translate It

Thursday, September 29, 2011

That's a jacket potato.

CAUTION:  This posting will be quite random.

Things I miss from back home:
- my own washer and dryer
- a dishwasher
- Triscuits
- my amazing, cushy, queen size bed
- dryer sheets, sour cream, ranch dressing

Things I like about England:
- You can use any Cash Point (ATM) from any bank and you don't have to pay a fee
- The weather is amazing right now (~75F)
- The history is pretty cool
- They have the same shampoo/conditioner brands that we have back home! (finally something familiar!)

Things I don't like about England:
- Their banking system ( I still don't have any money :/   )

American English/England English Dictionary:
Potato with the skin on = Jacket Potato
Elevator = Lift
Messy Child = Mucky Pop 
French Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps
"Watch your head" = Mind your head
enroll = enrol
while = whilst
7:15 = a quarter past 7
Trashy = Chav
Expensive = Posh
Lies = Bollocks
ALL COOKIES (including Oreo's)  = Biscuits
Bathroom = Loo
Vulva = Fanny (as in fanny pack! don't say that one!)
Cambridge  = "The Other Place" 


I'm sure I'll learn a bunch more soon!


Today I studied in the Bodleian Library. I wish I could have taken pictures for ya'll, but they had security in there and wouldn't let me take photos :(  Here is a picture that I did manage to take of my primate friends:


I then spent many hours trying to find my money and deposit it from bank to bank to bank, but did not succeed. Maybe tomorrow! I now know what 'poor' is. :(


We then walked by Christ College; one of the largest and richest college at Oxford University.  Harry Potter was filmed here too! Back in the day King Charles I lived there (~1642). Albert Einstein studied there in the 1930's.  A long time ago Oxford time was 5 minutes later than other places in England. The students of Oxford had to be in their dorms by 9:05 PM (9:00 Oxford Time). At this time the bell at the church would ring 101 times because that's how many students went there.  They no longer carry on this tradition. Thankfully! I don't know if I could listen to that every night! Here are some pictures:


Does this look familiar Harry Potter fans???

Outside the Church.

I then had to stop by the post office to 'post' some things:

We got laughed at for taking this picture! Oh Well!!! 
Goodnight!














No comments: