Last night I was able to eat dinner finally! My sickness is over .... for now. I was told today that the food quality in Petriky will be much lower quality than here :/ So for now I'm okay :)
Yesterday was a holiday in Madagascar. All of the restaurants were closed except for my hotel's so I went there. It looked like there was a party! There was a large table, mostly Malagache men, with a TON of food and alcohol on it. I was a bit scared because there was an army guy with a huge GUN sitting at the table. I picked a small table in the back. The owners knew of my sickness and have been so kind to make sure to feed me things to help my stomach. I had small talk with the large table, but mostly read and kept to myself. One of the guys kept flirting and asking me if I was alone and what hotel room # was mine. At the end, the waitress brought my bill out and the guy at the head table said "Let me pay for it. Sorry, I should introduce myself!, I am the Senator of Madagascar." How random is that??! He gave me his email and phone number and everything. I've randomly met the most important people in Madagascar! His friend still tried to figure out where I lived, but I'm really good at lying and got rid of him! Thankfully!
Today I had my medical exam and safety test at QMM. Tomorrow I will head off to Mandena forest to meet with QMM again. It is the site of the first mining (continuing) so I'm curious to see how the forest looks now :/ I will take loads of pictures. I hope to be in my field site next week! I was told that I got very lucky and have a guide who speaks English. I love how things are working out :) I also met the President of Petriky's forest department and he was very happy to have me doing research in his forest. PLUS 2 weeks ago researchers started habituating the ring-tailed lemurs. So this means THEY are present!!! This also means they aren't habituated so it could take about a month for me to be able to follow them :(
love you all Mx
Yesterday was a holiday in Madagascar. All of the restaurants were closed except for my hotel's so I went there. It looked like there was a party! There was a large table, mostly Malagache men, with a TON of food and alcohol on it. I was a bit scared because there was an army guy with a huge GUN sitting at the table. I picked a small table in the back. The owners knew of my sickness and have been so kind to make sure to feed me things to help my stomach. I had small talk with the large table, but mostly read and kept to myself. One of the guys kept flirting and asking me if I was alone and what hotel room # was mine.
Today I had my medical exam and safety test at QMM. Tomorrow I will head off to Mandena forest to meet with QMM again. It is the site of the first mining (continuing) so I'm curious to see how the forest looks now :/ I will take loads of pictures. I hope to be in my field site next week! I was told that I got very lucky and have a guide who speaks English. I love how things are working out :) I also met the President of Petriky's forest department and he was very happy to have me doing research in his forest. PLUS 2 weeks ago researchers started habituating the ring-tailed lemurs. So this means THEY are present!!! This also means they aren't habituated so it could take about a month for me to be able to follow them :(
love you all Mx
No comments:
Post a Comment