Translate It

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Week 3 in the Petriky

First - Facebook is not working for any of us out here in Madagascar :(  So I will not be able to update anything (mainly pictures) on it.

The absolute worst thing about the forest are these flesh-eating ants. They build a huge nest in the trees and when you crawl under them or are even just walking underneath them they drop and bite SOOO hard. They are tiny, but you will definitely notice when they are on you. One time my guide and I were walking along when we must have hit the nest because we were covered in ants and my guide was stripping off all of his clothes. I ran away because a. I didn't want to see him naked b. I had ants in my pants....the "English Pants" and needed to sort that out WITHOUT my male guide.

The Malagasy LOVE American music and dancing. The only thing is that they're favorite singers are Celine Dion, Avril Lavinge, Elton John, and Akon. Very random! I now have them addicted to country music, Justin Bieber, One Direction, and Chris Mann (from the Voice/Wichita native).  As for the dancing, I'm not sure why they think Americans are amazing at dancing because when the people dance here I personally think its amazing. They move their feet so fast, but not their upper body and they are great at the booty dance.

During this week, we weren't able to collect a lot of data so most of our time was spent watching movies and listening to music.  When I told them that James Marsden was my Sheepa (boyfriend) they said 'razaratzy' which means 'ugly boy.' :)

As for my student, I have had to show her how to wear a seat belt, how to use a hair dryer, how to use toilet paper, excel spreadsheets, cheeseburgers/pizza, and I have introduced her to many English words and phrases.

The thing that I wish I would have brought more of are books. English books. I only brought one because I thought maybe there would be a bookstore here, but there are NO bookstores in Madagascar. If I had read Lonely Planet Madagascar prior to coming here I would have known that :)

I absolutely LOVE visiting the villages. Every time I show up all of the children come running up clapping and cheering and it makes me feel so loved. They are so sweet! When I'm waiting for my guide I usually play football with the kids. Their soccer ball is made out of recycled bags bunched together with a tree branch intertwined to keep the bags together. The last time I went to Village Ambovo my guardian gave me a chicken! It was a very nice gift! The time before I got a pineapple.

During this week we started making our botantical plots and it is the most boring thing I have ever done in my life. I think I have just come to realize that plants don't do it for me. Only the primates!

Here are some pictures from this week!





No comments: