Translate It

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Simple Life

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48678819/ns/today-money/t/could-you-go-years-without-anything-new-mom-did#.UD6SBtaPXZg

This is a great article about a woman who didn't buy anything new for FIVE years! I applaud her and challenge everyone to go at least one week without buying anything new (food doesn't count). It is hard, but once you see that you don't actually need these things you start to appreciate other aspects of your life. Also, have you been to a thrift store? Just think that's excess 'stuff' that consumers drive. Maybe we should all just live in a NY sized studio apartment for 5 years to see what it is exactly that we can't live without. I discovered in Africa mine was chocolate! I'm not lying either. I wish I could say it was some intellectual read or something sentimental, like my wedding ring or a necklace from a relative, but nope, just good ole chocolate. Also, I don't have a wedding ring.

I only had 3 shirts and 2 pants for three months in Madagascar. I lived with just a rucksack and a tent. After living that lifestyle and returning to Oxford, I immediately went through all of my items and started donating things. It is amazing how it can change your life. I wish that I still had the mentally. After spending the last 3 weeks in a country that has everything you need available within a 20 minute walk, it is much more tempting for me to buy things. I start justifying it with "Well, I just wrote one paper so I can reward myself with this new dress." Thankfully I leave soon and am not allowed to buy anything because a. I'm a poor graduate student and b. I have a baggage weight limit. I hope to declutter my boxes once I move back to home though. If you go a whole year without it do you honestly need it?

School is starting for some folks so maybe a little 'fall' cleaning (instead of spring) is in order!!

xo


No comments: