Translate It

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Life As a Zookeeper



I just finished my second week working at the zoo as a keeper. I feed and clean enclosures for the chimpanzees, orangutans, tapirs, and tayra.

Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes)

Orangutan (Pongo abelii)
Tayra (Eira Barbara)

Tapir (Tapirus indicus)
It is physically demanding, but I love it! The chimps have accepted me and haven't thrown poop at me. At the beginning they did throw water from puddles in my direction. I've learned that I have to come in and say Good Morning when I first enter the room and pay attention to Marbles. After that I can finish cleaning and Marbles will just observe. Bea is pregnant and is due any day now! I hope its tomorrow on my birthday and then I will personally name her baby Mandalina. :) I still work at Bed, Bath and Beyond (BB & B) which means that some days I work 14 hours/day.  It can be tiring, but I'm hoping this won't last too long. While walking the cement floor at BB&B if I notice a brown spot (dirt) I automatically think feces and want to get out the hose. I'll try to keep you more updated! 

No comments: