Translate It

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Meningitis?

Last Saturday morning I woke up with a horribly stiff neck. I thought maybe I just slept wrong and eventually it would feel better. I tried stretching it out, drugs, and even a massage! After a couple of hours I went to study with my Canadian friend who was scared to sit next to me. "Why don't you want to sit next to me, girl?" I asked. "A stiff neck is a sign of meningitis..." she replied.  Being the hypochondriac I am, I immediately Googled 'signs of meningitis. It read: fever, headache, hands colder than body...yup I could have these things if I just think about them long enough. I remembered though that I had to have vaccines before going to college for this brain swelling disease. So surely I'm fine. Turns out 90% of cases of meningitis are for strain B...a strain that NOBODY is vaccinated against. That's interesting. I also found out that if I did in fact have meningitis that I would die in less than 4 hours. I was supposed to be working on my genetics assignment, but knowing that you could die in 4 hours, everything changes. Not only was it my friends birthday, but it was also St. Patrick's Day! I wanted to be outside drinking green beverages with my mates!

Later that night, hanging out with my mates, we started watching some recent videos I had recorded.  THEN, I realized why my neck was sore...

Please watch the following video:
Did you see me grab my neck? Yup, it was at the point that I injured myself and it was even documented! Turns out, I'm going to live!!!

No comments: