Translate It

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bugs 'n Stuff.

Hello There.

I just made my friend Erika vomit in her mouth with a nice story about bugs so I thought it would be fun to make other people vomit.

If you hate insects then you HAVE to read this. It isn't long. Just a simple little process they do.

In Madagascar, I am very lucky because nothing is poisonous. Yes, there are huge spiders, snakes that eat chickens, and did I mention, snakes that eat chickens? BUT I won't die immediately if I come into contact with these fellows.

There are also sand fleas. You know, little sand fleas that live in dirty sand, usually around villages or on the beach where kids play.  These tiny little creatures have sharp little scissors and they enjoy burrowing into your skin leaving a gaping hole. Not only will they live under your skin, they will also leave their children there to nest.  You can tell if you have sand fleas residing in your foot because it ITCHES so bad that you will wake up in the middle of the night to scratch them. Then, you'll see a black little dot in your foot; which is their head.  You then have to get the egg sac out along with the mom who laid it there. SO if you are a near a clinic then you clean your foot and have someone dig into your skin with a needle to get everything out, leaving a larger gaping hole in your foot.  If you are in the village, like my student and I, then you find a plant with thorns and wash your foot in the salty lake water and then let a villager dig the insects out. The end.

It wasn't that bad was it?

My new friend's mom, had one lay eggs, but she didn't realize it until she got back to America. The Infectious Disease Center had never seen anything like it and took pictures, but didn't know what to do. So she had to wait until she returned to Madagascar and by then the egg sac had burst and there were baby sand fleas all over her foot! Her toes were black because there were so many and she had lots of gaping holes after the doctors came in.

Well, I guess that should do. I hope you enjoyed that story and visit Madagascar soon! :) xoxoox

No comments: